You may have heard about free radicals before, or seen them mentioned in a magazine or on-line. But what are they? How do they affect your skin? And what can be done about them? Here are five things you need to know about free radicals.
- Free radicals want balance A free radical is a molecule that’s missing an electron — and it needs to find a replacement. If there isn’t an antioxidant present to restore balance, a free radical can cause damage to the surrounding cells in its effort to find its missing piece. This process is called oxidation
- Free radicals are harmful As free radicals start to steal healthy cells’ electrons to restore balance, they are damaging these healthy cells. This can cause a very negative and destructive chain reaction. They can be especially harmful for people with certain skin conditions.
- Free radicals can accelerate skin ageing This damaging chain reaction leads to cell death. When skin cells die, it leads to skin ageing. And while skin ageing and cell death are natural parts of life, the presence of free radicals can accelerate this process.
- Free radicals are everywhere We are exposed to free radicals every day. Alcohol, tobacco, chemicals, and sun radiation are all common ways we are exposed. So what can we do about it?
- Antioxidants can help Providing free radicals with antioxidants to replace their missing electrons puts a stop to the damaging oxidation chain reaction. Foods high in antioxidants (like blueberries) and dietary supplements that feature powerful antioxidant properties, help maintain the skin’s ability to protect itself from the harmful effects of free radicals.
Zo Skin Health is also packed with antioxidants to fight and protect against the daily free radical damage your skin is at risk of.